The second update of the Teacher Challenge talks about how to write a blog post. Thankfully, I’ve been doing this for a little while and feel pretty comfortable with my writing. I am learning the WordPress dashboard and editing system with ease. I could understand how a non-tech-savvy person could be a little confused with how things work. (They had a great visual presentation on how to publish a post!)
At the end of their lesson, the challenge was to write a blog post. The first idea they gave was to write on Seven Things You Didn’t Know About Me. I don’t consider myself too interesting, but here are some facts about me!
1. I have attended Christian schools for all but two years of my education. I went to a WELS school for Kindergarten, a non-denominational Christian school for 1st through 6th grade and the local public school for 7th and 8th grade. I went to high school at Luther Preparatory School in Watertown, WI (Eight hours away from home!). I attended Martin Luther College for my undergraduate degree in Elementary and Secondary Education (with a major in Life Science). Most recently, I applied and was accepted to Concordia University – Wisconsin for the MS in Educational Technology program. (I start in February!) (Whew!)
2. I have been to three different countries (besides the US of A). First, Canada. I’ve been there a couple times: once for family vacation and another for a church youth convention. Second, the Dominican Republic. I went there on a mission trip right after I graduated from high school. Third, Jamaica! The Marine Ecology class was intense, but it was worth snorkeling in crystal clear (and brackish) water.
3. I accomplished something last December that I never thought I would ever do. I finished a half-marathon! Here’s the link to my race recap. I couldn’t have finished without my awesome coach, my fantabulous mentor and my wonderful teammates. Go Team Challenge! Go Team Wisconsin!
4. My goal all through college was to teach at my former high school. God had different plans! I love my position here teaching middle school language arts and music.
5. I have been called the “most extroverted introvert” that the person I quoted knows. Yes, I really would rather sit and home and read or play a game rather than going “out.” Book + Fireplace + Warm Beverage = aaaaaaahhhhh.
6. I am a senior moderator of a webcomic forum community. I met my boyfriend (of four years) through the site, and I have many solid friendships because of it. There are a bunch of us that meet up every summer from all corners of the world!
7. Last but not least, I know how to play a variety of musical instruments. My voice is my favorite instrument to use, as I’ve been singing in choirs since I was 10 years old. I learned how to play the flute, French horn and trumpet. I know how to play the piano and the pipe organ. Throw in a little tambourine and you’ve got a band! 🙂
EDIT: I thought of something that is totally random! I have a love affair with pens. Different colors, styles, mostly gel pens, some not… I just got 14 new G2 pens from Target for $12! They’re in funky colors, too. Watch out students, it may not be just the red pen you’ll fear!! 😀
I hope you’ve enjoyed a little bit about me…maybe these things are a surprise to you, and maybe they’re not, but they’re all still me!
Keep a song in your heart!